Home Broadband Reviews Compare Broadband Broadband Providers Broadband News
Broadband Speed Test
Broadband Availability
Broadband Wireless Routers
Unlimited Broadband Internet
Cheap Broadband Offers & Deals
Broadband TV & Phone Packages
RSS Feed Twitter Facebook
Wales Needs Better Broadband:
A Welsh affairs committee has stated that the economy of Wales is being harmed by poor broadband and this could be leading to less investment...
4G Launches in the UK:
Everything Everywhere officially launched their new 4G mobile service this week and announced they expect it to be available in 16 UK cities ...
Get Broadband News and Discounts
Enter your email address:


Delivered by Google FeedBurner


Welcome:   USwitch Says Switch ;)

Naturally, USwitch thinks you should switch your broadband provider. But their arguement is compelling - and if Entanet get their way, you could be charged for complaining about frivilous broadband problems:

A study conducted by uSwitch has indicated that broadband customers could be overpaying by £120 a year because they have never switched their provider. The company estimates that half of the 21 million households in the UK have never switched and that this amounts to £1.1 billion wasted each year. One third of people are paying £20 a month or more for their broadband while one in ten pays more than £30. This is despite one quarter of packages available via uSwitch costs £10 a month or less. Julia Stent from the comparison site says that people are reluctant to switch because they think it will be difficult. She points out that loyalty doesn't always pay and that their speed and price could be improved if they moved provider. The survey also found that around half of those who did switch did so because they wanted to save money. However poor customer service and slow speeds were also a reason.



The cabinet reshuffle this week has led to Maria Miller being appointed as the new culture secretary taking over from Jeremy Hunt. This gives Ms Miller, the MP for Basingstoke, the responsibility of advancing the super-fast broadband strategy. The government is aiming for 90% of the UK to be getting super-fast broadband speeds by 2015 and for the remaining 10% to be getting a minimum of 2Mb. This strategy has been criticised by the House of Lords who say that it should be more important to get a decent broadband service to all rather than focusing on faster speeds. Ms Miller will also be responsible for Women and Equalities. She says she is delighted with the appointment and is looking forward to the challenges.


A study carried out by O2 Wholesale has discovered that a surge in fixed broadband is expected over the rest of this year. Seven in ten firms in the UK IT Channel sector felt that uptake is likely to increase and that this would be driven by remote working. 58% of those questioned said that the trend was moving toward cloud computing and many companies are now employing a "bring your own device" workplace. However just 46% of the companies felt that their customers knew that there was extra strain on their broadband networks due to this type of device usage which utilises the cloud. Dan Cunliffe from O2 commented that fixed broadband is a potential opportunity for resellers.


The broadband provider Entanet has said that consumers should have to pay if they make a complaint about their service and it is deemed to be spurious. Paul Heritage-Redpath who is product manager at the provider says that providers are forced to foot the bill for alternative dispute resolution when a complaint is rejected. This can cost several hundred pounds and the provider must pay even if it is found that the complaint is unfounded. He points out that elsewhere in law, the losing party must pay costs. Redpath says that the recent guidelines regarding the complaints procedure given by Ofcom to the Ombudsman and the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication service need to be more unified to achieve more consistency. † [last update: 05.09.12]



Related External Sources:

Consumers should pay for spurious broadband complaints - www.uswitch.com
O2 Wholesale reports predicted surge in fixed broadband uptake - www.cable.co.uk
Broadband users wasting more than £1billlion a year - www.metro.co.uk
Maria Miller to overseer super-fast broadband strategy - www.cable.co.uk




RELATED ARTICLES:

» Everything Everywhere Launches 4G for 16 Cities in the UK
» Wales Economy Being Brought Down by Poor Broadband
» TalkTalk "Talks"
» The SKY is Not Happy
» Big Changes Ahead
» Bournemouth Boom




Virgin Media Broadband BT Infinity Broadband Sky Broadband Plus Net Broadband AOL Broadband

Customers Overpaying £1billion in Broadband Fees Because They Don't Ask Article Copyright © 2009-2017
Fibre Optic Broadband :: All Rights Reserved :: Terms of Use